Pages

Tuesday, May 10, 2011

15 Days, or How to Put Your Entire Life in One Small Suitcase

Ah, the first post.

It's 15 days until I leave the United States and I've received my housing assignment. I'm living in a very beautiful French neighborhood about 20 minutes south of the center of Brussels with two other girls in my program. The head of household's name is Hélène, and she has two teenage daughters Clementine and Stephanie. That's right, there's going to be six women in a townhouse. The estrogen is going to be overwhelming. They also have a dog!




(Above is the street that I'll be living on - isn't it cute? Well, I think most European things are cute)

I've started packing.
I've never considered myself materialistic, but this is the hardest part of the trip so far. How am I going to live for a few months out of one suitcase and only a week's amount of clothes? I want to take my entire wardrobe with me, but that's obviously unrealistic.

I've learned a few things:
  1. Mixing and matching is essential. If the same shirt can go with all your pants, that's more outfits. If the same pants can go with all shirts, that's more.
  2. A conservative (I'm talking in culture, here, not politics) country severely limits your clothing choices. For both learning and safety objectives, I want to blend into the Belgian society. Unfortunately, this means that sleeveless shirts and shorts that go above your knees are out. The Belgian people dress very modestly compared to Americans and a tourist sticks out like a sore thumb when they wear tank tops and short shorts/skirts.
  3. Shoes take up a large amount of room in a suitcase. And I want to take a different pair for each outfit. (IDON'TWANTTOCHOOSE)
For those of you interested (none of you), this is what I am (at this point, it'll probably change five times) taking:
  • Two pairs of jeans
  • Two jean capris
  • Three long-ish skirts
  • Three dresses
  • Two (but soon to be more) cardigans
  • Six shirts
  • The very essential bathing suit (Going to a beach in Antwerp)
  • My trusty Converse
  • Dress shoes
  • One pair of flip flops (oh, this is killing me)
That's it. For months, I'll be living in these only.
Friends, I may not make it.

No comments:

Post a Comment